December 30th, 2010Duran Duran Live
According to the Dallas Morning News, Duran Duran is scheduled to perform at the “Pepsi Super Bowl Fan Jam” during Superbowl weekend in North Texas.
Kid Rock is listed as the headliner, with Duran Duran and Jason Derulo supporting at Verizon Theatre in Grand Prairie. Tickets are already on sale for the Feb. 3 gig, selling for $45 and $60 through www.ticketmaster.com.
VH1 is said to be broadcasting some portions of the show live. Duran Duran performed ‘Wild Boys’ at the Superbowl XXXVIII Tailgate Party in Houston back in 2004, portions of which aired live on CBS.Tags: Duran Duran, Superbowl
December 26th, 2010Duran Duran News
The band’s From Mediterranea with Love EP became available for free on iTunes UK, late 23rd December. Featuring three tracks, the title tune plus live versions of Sunrise and Ordinary World, the collection also features new artwork from Clunie Reid and Rory McCartney. There is no word yet as to when or whether the EP will become available in other territories. Click here to get From Mediterranea With Love from iTunes UK…
If the download versions of All You Need Is Now and From Mediterranea With Love have got you curious artwork-wise, and you’ve already checked out Clunie Reid, why not also familiarize yourself with Rory McCartney via his website, here. For the moment, here is one of his works, entitled Nautilus.
Duran Duran performed All You Need is Now live on the BBC’s National Lottery Christmas Eve special in the UK. With the stage set outside London’s Natural History Museum, it’s worth noting that the Eve was one of the coldest on British record. In fact, only one-hundred miles up the road in Worcester (which is next to Birmingham on the map, and therefore old Duran country), the mercury dropped to a record-breaking -17C. And while London is generally warmer – as cities tend to be – not least for being in the South and away from the current biting northerly chill, it was still clearly beyond cool up on the DD stage.
………Tags: All You Need Is Now, BBC Lottery, Clunie Reid, Duran Duran, Durantime, From Mediterrenea With Love, live, performance, Rory McCarntney
December 22nd, 2010Duran Duran News
Nick Egan, director of the stunning new video for All You Need Is Now, took to the YouTube comments section this evening for an impromptu and refreshingly candid Q&A session with fans. The British born director and graphic designer has worked with Duran Duran for many years, directing such memorable videos as Ordinary World, Perfect Day and White Lines.
Duran Duran’s own John Taylor has been writing a book about Nick Egan’s artwork, which includes album covers for The Clash, The Ramones, Malcolm McClaren, INXs and others. Last year, John described the book in an interview last year as “kinda about Nick’s work, it’s about really the twilight of the album cover years, it’s really about the death of the album cover.”
Following is a transcription of Egan’s responses to questions submitted by YouTube users about the video for All You Need is Now.
- Initially, I wanted to show up and film the band together at their rehearsal and spend a day with each member, so I could get a sense of who they are as individuals how different they are, and balance that with who they are as a band. In all the years I have known them I have never seen them quite as excited as this, in fact it’s contagious. I honestly did not intend it to have such a lot of performance as it ended up having.
- Believe me the videos I did for Ordinary World, White Lines and Perfect Day are a hard act to follow and for a while I wasn’t sure that I could. So I decided to come from a completely different approach and just go with a feeling that I felt instinctively which was based on the mood the band were in. I think the rawness of the video suits that, so these beautiful individual shots didn’t make it in the cut, except for Nicks.
- It is all real, and that’s exactly how we intended it to be. Even the kids we shot in LA were genuine kids who had recently discovered DD and and the New Romantics. I wanted people to relate to them. The stunning models and exotic locations were brilliant and it helped create this fantastic aura that they have, and since then many other bands have imitated
- In fact I have some stunning footage of Roger in Richmond Park, Simon down by the Thames near his house, John walking thru the snow at his house in the country. But all of us felt that there was somethings special about this performance that we wanted to share with fans and to me that has so much more value to it than throwing some expensive models in there. They were having fun and it comes across in the video.
- I wanted to make a video showed them, not only as a great band, but as friends, four people who have written some of the most memorable songs in history who still have a great time together even after all these years of writing. The only way I could do that was , to not have any rigid concept, to just show up and film, which is pretty much what happened. I wanted to capture something that I had seen in all of the guys, a feeling of excitement of fun.
- A British Artist called Clunie Reid has done a fantastic album cover. There was not much time to include all of it in the clip. However I will be mixing those elements in an extended version of the song.
- It was a very conscious decision from myself and the band to re think the whole music video concept, don’t forget it was they who created the extravagant video in the first place.
- To show that their influence is still here amongst a new generation of 18,19 and 20 year old’s, that is a wonderful achievement, that’s why I wanted the kids to be real and NOT models, they really did look like that, but the most wonderful thing about that, and you are the first to know this, is the jacket and shirt that the boy is wearing are actually John’s, from his original wardrobe, the kid’s name is Rhett showed up looking like he stepped out of the Run Runner but how could we not have that piece of history in the video.
- Thank you all of you, the band really do care about their fans and we wanted to include you in the video, so that section towards the end with all the live shows was meant as tribute to all the Duranies.
December 20th, 2010Duran Duran News
December 20th, 2010Duran Duran News
Duran Duran’s 13th studio album, All You Need Is Now, will be released worldwide via iTunes tomorrow (December 21). This four-minute electronic press kit, directed by Gavin Elder, highlights the drive and creative collaboration behind making this vibrant and highly-anticipated work.
……Tags: All You Need Is Now, Duran Duran, Gavin Elder